Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Julie & Julia" (My Year of Cooking Dangerously) - Book & Movie

Just like "Glee" the TV series, I am bursting into song as I have won a copy of Julie & Julia from Penguin on Twitter.

PenguinBooksAus You won a copy of Julie and Julia in our little comp yesterday, congrats! Can you send me your address so I can post your book :)

The question was asked on Twitter by PenguinBooksAus, what was your favourite passed on receipe? I replied it was my beautiful husband Graeme's receipe (He died over 2 years ago) and he loved cooking and the favourite for my daughters and myself was lemon pudding!!Yum ooooooohhhhh!!!!

Not feeling well myself (recovering from ruptured right Achilles tendon and now DVT and 3 blood clots), I still managed to catch a taxi to the movies with my wonderful 15 year old daughter,Sinead and watched the inspirational movie that is based on the book by Julie Powell.

"With the humor of Bridget Jones and the vitality of Augusten Burroughs, Julie Powell recounts how she conquered every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and saved her soul." - Barnes & Noble review.

Nora Ephron wrote the screenplay, produced and directed the movie. She has been nominated for an Oscar 3 times for screenplays such as Silkwood (1984), When Harry Met Sally (1990) and Sleepless in Seattle (1994).

It is not everyone's 'cup of tea' but it proved a hit with my daughter and myself that this movie was based on two 'true stories' that showed two women who never gave up on their goals and passion. The New York Times review of the movie ended with this conclusion!

"... an imperfect meal can still have a lot of flavor, and the pleasures offered by this movie should not be disdained. Julia Child knew what to do with a broken sauce or a half-fallen soufflé: serve it anyway, with flair and without apology. What would Julia say? What she always said: Bon appétit!"

But my favourite quote in the movie came from Julia's husband Paul Child over dinner with their friends and he turned to his wife and said this beautiful gem: -

"You are the butter to my bread, & the breath to my life" !

This movie also showed how devoted and supportive the husbands were in the lives of these women.I also loved the stars ( mentioned below ) chosen for the roles. I do felt though that the Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were superb in their roles.

Meryl Streep ( Julia Child ) ; Stanley Tucci ( Paul Child ); Amy Adams ( Julie Powell ); Chris Messina ( Eric Powell )

No comments:

Post a Comment