Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Bard of Ayreshire's Birthday - Robert Burns


( Image from Creative Commons Flickr )



Scottish Bagpipes, Haggis,Whisky and Robert Burns!

Ah my Bonnie Lasses and Lads! It is that time again to celebrate the birthday of the "Bard of Scotland".


Robert Burns - 25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796

In Scotland and everywhere around the world where you find Scottish nationals, festivities abound celebrating their national poet. The "Burns"Night parties consist of three basic elements: the eating of  the national dish which is haggis, drinking Scottish whisky and reciting Robert Burns poems (Auld Lang Syne being a favourite).These traditions were intiated by Robbie's friends after he passed away unexpectedly at 37.

His complete works can be viewed here: - Burns Country

Below is my all time favourite by this wonderful poet.


A Red, Red Rose

[Hear Red, Red Rose] 1794



O my Luve's like a red, red rose,

That's newly sprung in June:

O my Luve's like the melodie,

That's sweetly play'd in tune.


As fair art thou, my bonie lass,

So deep in luve am I;

And I will luve thee still, my dear,

Till a' the seas gang dry.


Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,

And the rocks melt wi' the sun;

And I will luve thee still, my dear,

While the sands o' life shall run.


And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!

PhotobucketAnd fare-thee-weel, a while!

And I will come again, my Luve,

Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!
                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment